Got it Up and Out!

Posted: December 31, 2014 in Uncategorized

Engine on Stand

THE ENGINE IS OUT!  Yes, it is OUT.  The car and engine are now separated.  This is in a large part due to Len Spinelli who again sacrificed a day to help me out. Len was just appointed President of the NJRA’s (our local club).  It couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

Let’s talk about the process…. not the presidential appointment process but the engine removal process.  As you know from the last post, I thought I lined everything up excepting the removing of the engine mount bolts (front and back) and the connection between the flywheel and the engine.  I didn’t do some other things (who would have known to do them) and our planned 2 hour project took about 4 hours.  Just to put this in perspective, a pro can do the whole thing including prep in a couple of hours. DO NOT USE THIS POST AS THE “HOW TO GUIDE”…. as I try to note regularly, I don’t have a great clue about how to do these things and am learning as I go.

Let’s talk about where things went awry.

  • The rear engine mounts are in a location/shape that didn’t allow the ratchet set to be utilized to remove the bolts. The safety wires there were awkward to reach. We were turning some of these about ¼ turn and then needing to re-position the wrench.
  • The jack that I used to raise the transmission did not have enough height to raise it enough once we started to remove the engine. We were afraid to lower the transmission once we got the engine removal started.  We spent 2+ hours futzing with jacks, stands, and wood blocks and finally got it resolved.   I blame lack of coffee. Note to others: make certain your jack can give you the lift you need OR start with the jack on a block or two so you have the needed lift.
  • One of the two bolts by the wishbone universal joint on the bottom of the housing wasn’t allowing the right ratchet OR wrench to go onto it. We needed to use a thinner wrench so it didn’t have to clear the not-so perfect head.

  • That engine didn’t want to leave the car. It was “stuck”.  We had to continually rock/shake the engine from the transmission.
  • The garage door (when open) is just a little too low to lift the engine all the way up IF you are using the chain we used at the length we used. Note to self: use a shorter chain

Oh, we went to video things….. the camera ran out of memory.  We did get a few things documented… but most of this was after the fact.

What was the most interesting part of the process?  Finding loose pieces in the bottom of the flywheel housing.

This doesn’t mean I am done.  The rebuilder has suggested that I remove the bellhousing (where the pedals are connected) to bring that up for a rebuild AND it has been strongly recommended by many that I take this time to take apart and rebuild the transmission (even though it isn’t giving me trouble).  I’m in the process of figuring out what will work and what won’t.  I don’t want the engine rebuild to become a bolt-by-bolt-entire-car-rebuild.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s