Removing the Side Pans – the second step in “dropping the pan”

Posted: April 26, 2013 in Uncategorized
car jacked up and the underside of one of the side pans.

car jacked up and the underside of one of the side pans.

The phaeton’s oil was drained overnight and I decided to use some of the daylight to aid in my “next step” on this project.

So what did I get done?  I started by putting the plug back into the oil pan and jacking up the front of the car and putting it on stands (so I could “work like a gentlemen”).  The jack and stands I have only lift the car a few inches.  The oil that came out was DARK.  The little collecting dimple in the cap was very gritty and indicative of the gunk in the oil pan.  You can’t remove the oil pan until you remove the side pans.

Removing the bolts/nuts that hold the side pans onto the frame and the oil pan was supposed to be simple.  It included a few surprises.  First, the bolts all have cotter pins.  This means I need to go buy some new cotter pins before I put the side pans back.  The second was how much filth was built up on everything.  The third was how difficult it was to remove the bolts/nuts.  While I have long arms, I wasn’t able to reasonably reach the bolt head and the nut.  After spending too much time stretching and slowly getting the first pan off, I finally decided to ask my mommy for help…. (I keep the car at my folks place. I live in Manhattan which isn’t really the type of place to keep this car and my folks had a space in the garage).  Mom was a trooper and in about 2 minutes the second pan was down.

dirty side pans

dirty pans off of car

SOS, Soap and Water

SOS, Soap and Water

With the pans off, I decided it would be wise to clean and prime them tonight.  So I did.  This included my scraping them clean, using brillo/SOS pads, using soap and water, attempting to fit them into the dishwasher (they don’t fit), using more soap and water, rinsing, sanding with emory paper, washing again, and then drying.  The pans themselves aren’t in beautiful shape.  The pans have been beaten up over the years and the “bunny ears” that are used to connect them to the oil pan bolt were rusted out/shredded.

As my objective isn’t to do a ‘fine points’ restoration, I just bent things back as good as possible and decided to

move on.  I then started to paint them with the primer I had in the garage and ran out.  This was a good thing.  At Lowes, I found that there is a “high temp” primer and enamel paint that would likely be better.  The pans probably don’t get too hot, but they are close to the engine and exhaust.   I am not going to strip the pans again, but I am finishing the job with the high temp primer/paints which are fuel and oil resistant.Here is a little video as well.

 

Rustoleum is my friend

Rustoleum is my friend

Waiting for paint to dry

Waiting for paint to dry

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s